Saturday, August 16, 2008

I ♥ Dabka


Traditional Palestinian dance, dabka, is commonly danced at weddings. Huge groups of men, young and old, come together and just let loose. It is so wonderful and liberating to see these Palestinian men - especially the younger ones, whom I usually meet suppressed and serious at checkpoints - having fun. I loved it!

And the women can dance too. If you wonder where all those skin-baring dresses hanging in the clothes shops and on the streets are worn, I can reveal to you that they are displayed at women's wedding parties. And lord do these girls know how to move their hips! But that's for female eyes only. And husbands. Sorry guys...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Lisa,

So it's Dabka. Great! As I've got a sore calf muscle and am feeling my age I would be less likely to be featuring today in the Dabka which I did anyhow thanks too your prompting!
Aniko is coming over to stay here in June. On her way to some training in Dundee.

Sounds like your job is going really well.

Love

Colin