Friday, August 29, 2008

Burn baby burn!

I have encountered the remnants of Sharon's cousin. No, I'm not talking about a middle-aged conservative Israeli. I'm talking about fire bombs made by settlers and used against Palestinian homes in the West Bank. Last month settlers from the Yitzhar settlement tried to attack the Palestinian village of Burin with rockets. They were poignantly named Sharon I and Sharon II. Luckily, the Sharons failed to reach their targets. Yesterday however, the settlers took more care in their aiming.

They attacked a Palestinian home in the same village in the early morning hours, throwing several fire bombs through the windows. I arrived with my team mate Gottfried in the afternoon and was taken to the targeted house situated at the outskirts of the village.

The damage was substantial, especially in the bedroom. Everything was charcoal and the room smelt of burnt wood. The sight of the burnt-out crib made us both uneasy. The family's savings of 20 000 Jordanian dinars, hidden under the mattress, had gone up in smoke.

There are no words for this kind of behaviour. Except maybe one. Terrorism.


(Al-hamdulillah, the family was away for a wedding! I kinda hope the settlers were aware of that. It makes me think them a little more human).

No comments: