Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sderot


I've been to the Israeli town of Sderot. Sderot is the most common target of Qassam rockets from Gaza. I was told that the citizens feel neglected and marginalized and think that the Israeli government could do more to protect them. Ironically, Sderot is also the home to many Palestinian collaborators from Gaza whom Israel has resettled inside her own borders.

Unfortunately, I don't have too much to say about the visit. After meeting Noam, the director of
Sderot Media Centre - a man who consistently referred to the everyone in Gaza as 'terrorists' and painted a very vivid black and white picture of the conflict - nothing I was told and shown really made the impression it could have if Noam's language had been a bit more subdued. Such flaming introductions might appeal to some, but it had the opposite effect on a person who has been living in the West Bank for the past five months.

Dear Noam, I came to Sderot wanting to hear about the Israelis who are living in the line of fire. I wanted to know your concerns and thoughts, your view on the situation. What I did not want was a lecture on how evil the people in Gaza are. Sorry, Noam, but you shot yourself in the foot.

I do not want to undermine the fear with which the people of Sderot are living. I can see that it is unbearable to live in such a situation - worrying about your family and your home. At the same time I couldn't help thinking about the others who are living with similar kinds of fears and in much worse conditions - only a kilometre or so away. Fenced in and without the bomb shelters that the people in Sderot are provided.

No comments: