Saturday, July 12, 2008

Mitjawwez inte? (Are you married?)


I am staying on for an extra one and a half months. Thus, I had to renew my visa. I had the choice of going back to Norway or take a quick trip to Jordan. Since I've never been to the Hashemite kingdom, I went for door number two.

Jordan was HOT. Jeez louise! Btw, I'm talking centigrades, people, in case you set out to misunderstand. When Paula (a Swedish EA who is also staying on) and I arrived in Aqaba, we could barely move. So we were mainly lying flat on our beds praising the AC. It turned out that Aqaba had limited appeal, so we moved on up north to the ancient city of Petra.

Petra is old. I'm not sure exactly how old, but its foundations are at least a couple of thousand years old. We walked amongst giant reddish stone buildings trying not to let the heat get to us. I will tell you that the 800 or so steps up to the Monastery helped me lose a few kilos of liquid. Good thing there was a Mövenpick resort just outside the excavation area, where we could regain our strength with not so tasty Jordanian wine after a day of exploration.




Petra was indeed grand. But what sticks with me is the image of those young, stout desert policemen patrolling the area. Clad in their sandy robes with fire red pistol holsters, Jordanian ḥaṭṭah and shiny daggers, they must be breaking many a bedouin girl's heart when out with the Camel Corps. I'm quite smitten myself to tell you the truth. I'm so gonna marry a shurta is-sahra!

No comments: