Thursday, January 10, 2008

Welcome, Mr. President!

So, how do I know Bush is here?

  • The amount of flying checkpoints (mobile random checkpoints) have increased dramatically the last few days. There were four such checkpoints from Tulkarem to Ramallah on Sunday, making the total number of checkpoints for a return trip fourteen. Surely, it must be even worse today when he is actually in Ramallah. I'm glad I don't have to find out.
  • The security at checkpoints seems to have been stepped up. Monday was the first day I had two soldiers pointing their machine guns at me for no apparent reason whatsoever. Made me feel like I was under siege. It was not that bad though, although it was a little disconcerting to see that the usually nonchalant soldiers were shaking with fear.
  • However, I find it more frightening when I meet less intelligent soldiers with too much power in their hands. Example:
    • Q:"Why are you making the farmers lift up their shirts?"
    • A: "Have you not seen the movie The Kingdom?".
  • The number of cars queuing at Anabta checkpoint to go from Tulkarem towards Ramallah and Jerusalem, vary between 50 to 200 every afternoon/evening. The queue never disappears, and sometimes it takes hours to pass. And ahead of the travellers another checkpoint awaits... And another...
  • The roads to the southern West Bank are closed for Palestinian vehicles when Bush is here. As if the restriction of movement wasn't tough enough from before.
  • More military incursions around the West Bank and an increase in arrests the past weeks. Could it be that Israel is trying to stir up some trouble? Just so that they can "prove" to Bush that the Palestinians are troublemakers and terrorists?
I don't know if all of this is because of his visit, but I really can't wait for him to go home.

No comments: