Friday, December 7, 2007

My first demonstration


As most of you are aware, I'm hardly the activist type. Today however, I attended my first demonstration - ever. It was organised by Women in Black - an international women's peace organisation. This particular demonstration has been held at the same spot in West Jerusalem for 20 years.

A couple of 'fuck offs' was the only reaction we got. Other than that, I just stood around talking to the others, mostly older Israeli women and other international volunteers. It felt somewhat ineffectual, and I must admit that this isn't really my scene...

Anyway, I arrived safely yesterday, sans luggage (it didn't make the flight connection in Frankfurt but was delivered to my room this morning). After some light interrogation at the airport we made our way to the Old City in East Jerusalem. We've settled in at The Knight's Palace Hotel, a very convent-like establishment... From tomorrow on, the days will be filled with Arabic lessons, tours and other educational activities before we leave for our placements on Sunday.

No comments: